Requirements and Safety
• A normal level of fitness and good physical shape is necessary to take part (for example, no cardiac
problems or poor circulation).
• Sturdy, closed shoes and durable hiking clothes with long trousers are required.
• There is no predefined time for the duration of a scooter trip, which can vary considerably depending
upon participants. Trips last on average one hour, or two hours for larger groups.
• For regular scooter trips, you should aim to be at the valley station of the Schauinsland cable car 45
minutes before the start time, allowing 60 minutes is even better.
• Scooters are issued exclusively at the top cable car station. The return of scooters is carried out by us using the
• For reasons of hygiene, a balaclava (which will be washed after each use) is to be worn under helmets. You
can of course use your own safety gear, provided it offers at least the same protection than ours. The helmet must have
• The traffic light symbol under the buttons on the left applies to regular scooter trips only, not for special
• Weather information for the Schauinsland can be found under Current News.
We recommend wearing durable hiking clothes (rather than shorts or t-shirts), which help
in the event of accidents. The scooter track begins at a height of 1220m and then leads along the north
side of the Schauinsland through predominantly deciduous and
coniferous forest. As such, temperatures
are lower than in Freiburg, making a scooter trip a refreshing activity on hot summer days.
The following 3 requirements must be fulfilled in order to take part:
• Minimum age of 12
• Minimum height of 150 cm (to ensure safe operation of the scooter)
• Maximum weight 120 kg.
In the case of youngsters taking part, a parent or legal guardian is required to give consent.
For your Safety
• Before the scooter trip, all participants receive a basic briefing regarding the operation of our
scooters. Make sure to get used especially to the brakes.
• Helmets, elbow-, kneeguards and gloves are provided.
• For reasons of safety, participants go down in loose groups followed by our knowledgeable scooter
guide who is on hand to help with punctures or other problems.
• The scooter trip is weather dependent: due to decreased traction in rain or snow no scooter
place. (The traffic light symbol on the left does not apply to special trips).
• It is not possible to take part in a scooter trip if wearing open shoes (such as slip on shoes)
due to the risk
• If for whatever reason the scooter trip has to be stopped untimely, a pick-up service is offered.
• The Downinsland Scooter Track is clearly marked with over 70 signs to prevent you from
• It is forbidden to take part in a scooter trip when under the influence of alcohol!
download "Important Information"